Chocolate, applesauce, and cake….. trust me the trio was meant to be!
I was skeptical but after tasting, this is going
to be my holiday dessert go-to. First of all, it was super simple. You do not need to be a fancy baker to pull this off. Second, I typically have all of the ingredients in my pantry… perfect for those last minute holiday parties or guests.
I took this cake into the office break-room and it was gone within minutes. IT’s a must try…and then try again!
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (melted)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups White House Foods® Original Applesauce
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×13 pan.
- Combine all the listed ingredients EXCEPT– 2 tablespoons of sugar and the chocolate chips—in a large mixing bowl. Stir until everything is evenly combined.
- Pour the batter into greased pan.
- Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar over top of batter in pan. Then sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of batter and sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Let cool of 10 minutes then sprinkle powdered sugar over top of cake.
- Serve warm & enjoy!
Try it for your next Sunday dessert or upcoming holiday festivities and let me know what you thought! Comment below or tag me on social @coldcoffeegrind
As always, thanks for reading and happy baking!